What we do at The Writers College –
We are a writing school providing specialist online writing courses to student writers from around the globe. Our tutoring team consists of over 40 professional writers, most of whom have won several prestigious writing awards.
The Writers College offers over 35 writing courses: creative writing courses, journalism courses, business writing and grammar skills courses as well as specialist writing fields.
We have found our method of one-to-one training, studying with an expert in the field, the best way to achieve a lasting improvement in writing skills.
Our writing courses are country-specific, offering up-to-date industry knowledge and writing opportunities for that area.
Visit our three branches:
UK students: www.ukwriterscollege.co.uk
Students in Africa: www.sawriterscollege.co.za
New Zealand and Australia: www.nzwriterscollege.co.nz
The latest tools and techniques for writers –
Apart from the individual attention and feedback from a professional writer in the field, we also focus on providing up-to-date industry tips and insider knowledge so that students who want to submit their writing for publication in print or online can do so with confidence and professionalism.
Because all of our tutors are working writers, they keep abreast of the most current formats and changes in the writing industry, whether it be in Journalism, Copywriting, Social Media Writing, Web Writing, Business Writing, Press Release and Media Writing, Non-fiction Book publishing, and all forms of creative writing.
We are proud of our team of tutors who have collectively won or been shortlisted for over 60 international writing awards, including many Qantas Awards, several Commonwealth Writers’ Prizes, four Emmy Awards, the Montana New Zealand Book Awards, ATKV Awards, the Caine Prize for African Writing, the Pen/HSBC Awards, the Sir David Beatie Award, the George Foster Peabody Award and the Reed Fiction Award.
How we started out –
The Writers’ College had small beginnings spearheaded by journalist Nichola Meyer in 2005. The first school she launched was SA Writers’ College in South Africa. The college started with just one course – her Magazine Journalism Course. Word about the course and the college quickly spread, and by 2012 the college was flourishing with over 32 courses, and tutors who have collectively accumulated around 60 writing awards.
UK Writers’ College was launched in 2010.
Read student feedback from graduates about our courses here.
Some quick facts about us –
- We have trained students from dozens of companies, including Highbury Safika Media, New Media Publishers, Caxton Publishers, SABC, Juta, Associated Magazines, International SOS, Pfizer, British American Tobacco, Multichoice, Mediaweb, Engel & Völkers, SA Décor & Design, Nedbank, Standard Bank, Old Mutual, Democratic Alliance, Vital Health Foods, Omage Holdings, TWP Consulting, BM Analysts, Natal Museum SA, bs3 and Emperor’s Palace.
- We have trained thousands of students since 2005.
- Our tutors have collectively accumulated more than 60 international writing awards. We only employ full-time, professional writers as our tutors.
- We have over 500 pages of writing resources on our college websites – 150 of these free to the public.
- We currently have over 4000 pages of course notes written by our tutors – specialist writing knowledge for each genre of writing.
- Many of our students go on to be published, and many have won international writing competitions.
Our College Mission –
We aim to provide students with affordable, specialist writing tuition of exceptional standard. Specifically, all courses are geared to impart and assess writing skills, as well as industry knowledge.
Our College Vision –
We aim to remain one of the top international online writing colleges.
Why we keep growing –
- Our courses offer real training by real writers.
- Our tutors are finalists for, or winners of, top writing awards.
- Our tutors are passionate, committed teachers. Their testimonials remain excellent, year after year.
- Even though our tutors usually have several university degrees behind their name, they know that successful writers learn most by writing. You can’t really “study” writing, just like you can’t “study” to become a tennis player. Theory alone will not help you play a better game of tennis. You improve your skill by playing the game, on the court. For writers, the “court” is the blank page. Our courses allow students to practise the craft of writing, over and over.
- We offer input on each line that gets written in assignments, with correction and feedback from our expert coaches.
Our Admin Staff –
College Principal: Nichola Meyer started her career as a freelance writer in 2001, and has written feature and cover articles for several leading magazines, among them O: The Oprah Magazine, Femina, Your Baby, Essentials and Cape Town’s Child. With a university Major in English and a Masters Degree in Psychology, Nichola has a special interest in reporting on issues of interest to women and parents.
Previously she lectured in psychology, taught English to High School Pupils since 1998, and presented the Magazine Journalism Short Course since 2004 at CityVarsity Film & Television and Multimedia School, as well as at Boston Language College. She launched SA Writers’ College in 2005.
Koos Turenhout was previously involved in Higher Education for six years at a private institution. During this time he was a department head and served on the academic board.
For any questions about the college and our courses, please fill out the form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours.